Pages

11.26.2010

Ode to the apartment we are leaving

Goodbye quirky old apartment
with your dusty-rose bathroom fixtures,
your warped parquet hardwood floors
(sloped perfectly for a baby and a very round ball placed just so),
and your must-have-been-for-milk-delivery cabinet outside the door.

I will miss you, sweet old apartment, for all the memories you hold.
Our first (and so far only) on-our-own Christmas.
So many summer nights sipping wine on the deck.
Cheering for the Canucks
with the rest of the neighbourhood
behind their equally thin walls.
Picnic dinner on the front lawn every night
during the hottest days of summer.
Those (thankfully few) sub-zero days
when the butter in cupboard
was as hard as the butter in the fridge.
Thirty hours of labour in the comfort of home
before it was clear
that what I'd planned was not to be.
Coming home too many nights without our baby,
until that oh-so-sweet day
when we three came home together.

I will not miss
your lousy, leaky, I-can't-believe-we-lived-with-it-so-long plumbing,
your moldy, mildewy, window sills,
your (probably lead-based) chipping paint,
and your paper-thin single-paned windows.

Goodbye dear apartment.
You have been just the right place at just the right time.
You have been home.
And I have been very very happy here.

I am glad we are not going far.
And I am looking forward to being able to operate
the coffee maker and the microwave simultaneously.


kb

8 comments:

Chris and Christina said...

ah, so bittersweet is moving on. this ode makes me miss your place!

Anonymous said...

A lovely ode Karla. I am glad that you are going to move to bigger and esp. healthier abode. I hope you guys can Talk Stephen into moving as well. I think his place is worse. Enjoy your new dwellings.
Mary Fleming

Dr. Paul said...

That was Fantastic!

amanda + daniel said...

oh dear, it must be pregnancy hormones - I am in my office all teary-eyed at your ode. praise God for all the memories connected to that space & blessings on your new home!

Unknown said...

I bet the list of what you won't miss will get much longer once you are settled in to your new place -- it did for us. I spent the whole first month noticing how our (much quieter) fridge door no longer swings out of control knocking magnets off the side, how soft the carpet feels, and how the drug deals are at the house down the street instead of outside our living room window...

Mark and Pam said...

oh so sweet, sounds like you are going to a better place. Can't wait to see it in January!

Anonymous said...

On behalf of the veggie dinner crew, we will miss you too ol' apartment. Soooo happy you are not moving out of the 'hood.

Kveta

Unknown said...

From one chapter to the next, each to add one story to the other, such that the fullness of life might be achieved, one moment at a time... ;)
I do believe Karla, that such an ode might officially qualify you with the true title of "blogger"! :)
Until your next post....